The pupil premium is additional funding allocated to schools to help schools narrow the gap between children from advantaged and disadvantaged backgrounds.
It is primarily allocated according to numbers of children eligible for free school meals.
At Edinburgh we use the pupil premium to:
- Help fund additional teachers and teaching assistants across the school to raise standards of achievement and attainment
- Provide enrichment activities across the school
- Help fund ‘booster’ classes in Year 6
- Fund subsidised places for school trips and extra-curricular clubs
- Buy in additional support services e.g. Place 2 Be.
Overall our data tells us that over time children deemed to be disadvantaged make better progress than children not deemed to be disadvantaged thus narrowing/closing the attainment gap.